Reaching Out


When you begin a discussion with Mike Brown you are bound to learn something!  I am fascinated by Mike’s knowledge, but I find that I learn as much when he asks a question as I do when he makes a comment.  Last week I got a text from Mike asking, “What is the goal of encouraging members to reach out and help others?  How will it help the church?”.  Naturally, I grabbed my phone and began to respond – that’s when I had to stop and think.  Why?  Over the last few days I have been considering this question and here are a couple of thoughts:
1.  It is the right thing to do.  The story of the Good Samaritan is in direct response to the question, “… who is my neighbor?” (Luke 10:29).  Jesus was in the midst of a discussion of the practical application of the principles of godly worship and brotherly love when He used a story to illustrate the righteousness of providing for people in need.  We help others because we are called to love them.  The most basic expression of love is serving our fellow man.
2.  People need to know how much we care before they care how much we know.   The psychologist, Abraham Maslow, taught that before people can advance to higher levels of thought and emotion they need to have their basic needs provided.  In essence, it is more difficult to process matters of the head and heart on an empty stomach.   James reminded us that faith and works are interconnected, “If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,’ and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.”  (James 2:15-17).  People are more prepared to listen to our spiritual teachings when we show them that we care about them as human beings.
3.  Giving to others helps us grow emotionally and spiritually.  One of the most basic human emotions is self-preservation.  Simply, carnal thought puts “me” first and foremost.  Human reasoning dictates that to be successful I have to take care of me and protect what is mine.  While this might be self-serving, it isn’t what Jesus expects from His disciples.  Jesus told a parable where the antagonist is condemned for dealing with his excess by saying, “I will tear down my barns and build larger ones.” (Luke 12:13-24).  As a part of our spiritual development disciples must begin looking out for the needs of others because it enables us to put them above our own.  Remember the simple (but powerful) adage, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35).
Are we reaching out to help others?  Not only will we become better Christians, it will help us become a stronger church.

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

The Gospel Truth

Spiritual Computer Safety