Art Appreciation


It had been several years since refrigerator art had hung on our appliance, but over the past couple of years it has made a comeback.  In fact, the artwork created by little people is not confined to the Amana – I find it in my jacket pockets, Bibles, car seats and office drawers.  Most of the masterpieces are the work of our granddaughters, but I will occasionally find a priceless piece created by the children of this church.  I love these renderings and I feel honored when someone gives me a picture, but I don’t always recognize what they depict.  The  designs, colors, spelling and symbols make perfect sense to the artist, but I have to admit that, periodically, I need to swallow my pride and ask “Oh, thank you!  What is this?”.  I have learned to be gracious when the child looks at me like I am a simpleton and explains that it is a beautiful flower ... or even more embarrassing, when it is their artistic interpretation of how I look to them. 
The reason for Art Appreciation 101 is ask a theological question, “How do you think God looks at us?”.   We can be smug and egotistical about how insightful we are, but how does God see our efforts through His eyes of wisdom and perfection?  Whether it is our worship, our doctrine, our religious debates, our prayers ... or whatever else we offer ... do you think we impress Him?  The answer is “No!”.  When Job was embroiled in a religious discussion with Him, God reminded him:
“Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?  Now gird up your loins like a man, and I will ask you, and you instruct Me!  Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?  Tell Me, if you have understanding, who set its measurements? Since you know. Or who stretched the line on it? On what were its bases sunk? Or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?” (Job 38:2-7)
If that isn’t humbling enough, listen to Paul’s challenge,
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, he must become foolish, so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God. For it is written, “He is the one who catches the wise in their craftiness”; and again, “The Lord knows the reasonings of the wise, that they are useless.” (I Corinthians 3:18-20)
We should be grateful that God has blessed us with the mental capacity we possess, but we must remember that, when compared to Him, we are infantile at best.  Sure, He wants to hear from us and cares about us, but we should make sure that we understand our place as His creation.  Let’s not try to impress Him with our wisdom and insight, rather, let’s strive to see things through His eyes.

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

The Gospel Truth

Spiritual Computer Safety