Mother's Day - 2018


When Paul wrote to encourage his protégé, Timothy, he reminded him, “For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well.” (II Timothy 1:5).  I don’t find it odd that these two women influenced Timothy’s ministry because I have experienced it as well.   I have been surrounded by women who have shaped my perspective on life.  As we honor Mother’s Day I would like to thank a few “Moms” who have influenced me. 
Elaine Wharton – The thing I appreciate most about my mother is the spirituality that she and my father infused into our family, but there is something else that stands out.  My mom taught me that I am a valuable person.  We all have critics trying to shape our lives – sometimes what we need is a biased cheerleader.  As a child and as an adult she was my cheerleader.
Grace Perryman – My mother-in-law was a wonderful person.  I think the thing that stands out about her was how much she enjoyed life.  Grace had an infectious smile and heart-warming laugh.  I believe that she had the ability to feel at home wherever she was and she helped others feel welcome in her presence.
Kim Williams – Although my sister and I have lived in different locations throughout our adult years I appreciate about her is the ability  to see good in others.  I have a tendency to view people with caution and skepticism, but she has a big heart (especially for those who need it the most). 
Amanda Brown – It takes a while to accept the fact that your daughter is a mother, yet Amanda has taught me so much about being a good adult.  Her best lesson may be bringing life to the phrase “love is blind”.  She and her husband are incredible examples of people who love others.  They are willing to open up their lives and their home to people in need – no matter skin tones or economic conditions.   Her openness has not only brought grandchildren into our lives – she has helped me become a better person.
Jeane Wharton – I don’t have enough room to detail all that my wife and the mother of our children means to me.  She is the foundation that keeps me grounded and the dreamer that helps me envision all that is possible.  She has helped me grow and is an indispensable part of the process that has made me who I am.  She is a living, breathing manifestation of what it means to love.
Centuries ago the Apostle Peter described true beauty as, “... the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.” (I Peter 3:4). Moms, thank you all for what you do and the beauty you model each and every day. Happy Mother’s Day!

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

Spiritual Computer Safety

The Gospel Truth