Backing Up

I am not sure how I did it, but just about everything I do with my phone gets backed up on the Verizon Cloud.  While this doesn’t necessarily bother me, what does irritate me is that I get a message every few days that my stuff can’t be saved because I don’t have any space left and (oh, by the way) I should consider buying extra space on the cloud.  I am not intentionally saving anything, but for some reason stuff is automatically being saved and, as a result, my space is full and my phone is sending me messages. 
The other day I got to thinking how something similar can happen in my life.  I may not be intentionally saving (internalizing) junk, but it is clogging up life and choking out joy.  As I pondered this a bit further I was able to identify at least three areas that seem to create problems for me:
1).  Allowing anxiety to take up too much space  Anxiety is a memory hog.  Even when we aren’t aware of it, it continues to run deep inside us influencing our decisions and crowding out our capacity for internal peace.  The Bible encourages us to free up our emotional space by admonishing, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” (Philippians 4:6).  When we dump our problems on God He will deal with them and we will be free to enjoy an abundant life.
2).  Not dealing with issues in a timely manner.  Another challenge is the clutter I allow to hang around in my memory.  It is bad enough to worry about things that haven’t happened, but that is compound by not completely dealing with past problems in a timely manner.  When we hold onto grudges or delay addressing struggles we clog up our internal system and bog down our ability to cope.  When the Apostle Paul addressed anger he provided us with a blueprint for other issues by stating, “Be angry, and yet do not sin;  do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity.” (Ephesians 4:26-27).  By emptying our emotional trash bins we will be in a better position to focus on the here and now.
3).  Spending energy on problems that aren’t mine.  I invest too much emotional energy trying to resolve stuff that really isn’t my business.  Sure there are times when people will ask for my help, but too often I waste my own strength being frustrated by other people’s problems – even things that don’t concern me.  Gossiping and being a busybody don’t do them or me any good.  By clearing their problems off of my plate I am much more emotionally and cognitively prepared to invest my energies in what I can control.

We have a finite capacity, but serve an Infinite God.  Let’s do what we can and give the rest to Him.

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

The Gospel Truth

Spiritual Computer Safety