Making Me

I am sure that my parents got tired of hearing “You made me do it!” or “You make me so mad!”.   My sister and I got along pretty well; but, like all siblings we had our moments when my folks may have wondered why they’d ever had children!  Eventually Kim and I matured and grew out of our childish banter; but, it would be  years before I would learn one of the most important lessons of my life – no one can make me do anything I don’t choose to do.  Sure, there are people (or agencies) who can overcome our physical strength; but, when it comes to matters of attitude; I, alone, am the captain of that ship.  I may not be able to dictate all of the circumstances in my life; but, I get to choose my response them.  In contrast to my childish rant, no one can make me do “it” and no one can make me mad (or happy or sad or any number of other emotions). 

As we look at the issue of personal choice, we see the important role it has in our lives.  Take, for example, that we get to choose our …

attitudes – This may be the most powerful application of the concept of choice.  It is up to me to decide how I experience life.  My happiness, bitterness, contentment, disappointment and joy are all under my control, I just have to select the one(s) I allow to influence my life.

…. disposition – When we think about a person’s innate view of the world we typically narrow it down to either optimism or pessimism.  We are blessed to pick which it will be.  We get to decide if we see the glass as being half empty or half full. 

priorities – It is easy and natural to feel the pressures of the various parts of our lives playing tug-of-war with us.  While this can be a challenge, the positive side of this is that we get to choose what we place at the top of our list.  Not choosing is not an option; because, then, the urgent will always overwhelm the important.

eternity – The most important choice we make is who will control our lives.  We can select God to save us or satan to condemn us.  Our charge is the same one Joshua issued to his contemporaries centuries ago, “If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord .” (Joshua 24:15)


We have a responsibility to choose wisely.   Circumstances may not always be easy; but, we have the ability to decide our present and shape our future.  Let’s live with purpose and control because our today and tomorrow depend upon it.  

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

Spiritual Computer Safety

The Gospel Truth