Teachers

This is National Teacher Appreciation Week and Tuesday, May 9, is Teacher Appreciation Day.  First and foremost, I would like to honor all of the past and present educators in our congregation.  You will never know the impact that you have had on our young people and our society.  Not only were you called to instruct the Three R’s (reading, ‘riting and ‘rithmatic); you accepted the challenge of teaching many students everything else they needed to know about life.  You are responsible for their health (both in education and welfare).  You have had to discipline them while helping them learn the value of discipline.  You were required to teach them about Civics and show them what it means to be good citizens.  You have been a social worker, mental health professional, nutritionist and parent.  There are certain professions that transcend being a “job” and even a “career”.  Teaching is a lifestyle.  Thank you for answering the call and meeting the challenge head-on each and every day.

One of the struggles I hear from the Education profession is that it is no longer enough to just be a classroom teacher; but, in reality, the best teachers have always known that and have embraced it.   As I think back on my most memorable teachers three things stand out:

1)  They treated me with respect.  I was not just another student – I was Charlie, the person.  The most incredible thing about these teachers is that they had dozens of individuals in their classrooms.  They didn’t respect me because I was the teacher’s pet, they did it to each one of us because we were people. 

2)  They were good role-models.  These types of teachers were professional in their classroom demeanor; but, they were also above reproach in their daily walk.  These real life mentors realized that “little eyes” were watching them and they lived up to the challenge. 

3.  They inspired me.  The outstanding educators didn’t just teach me the ABC’s they challenged upon me to reach my potential and not just settle for a passing grade.  They corrected me when they needed to and they encouraged me when I needed it. 


As we take time to honor our teachers we should be mindful of the lessons they provide to all of us.  There is an adage that says, “It takes a village to raise a child” and, as Christians, we should be a part of that environment.  Solomon certainly had parents in mind when he noted, “Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6); but, I am not sure that his words of wisdom were limited to parents.  Whether we are school teachers, Bible school teachers, elders, worship leaders or the Christian next door, we have a chance to make a difference in the life of a child.  Let’s all commit to the responsibility of helping the next generation become all it can be.

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

Spiritual Computer Safety

The Gospel Truth