Lessons I Learned From Vacation Bible School

When I look back at my childhood, one of my most vivid memories is Vacation Bible School.  As I reflect on it, not only did I have a good time, I also learned several life-lessons from my time in VBS.  Some of the lessons are superficial (like Hydrox cookies and Great Value powdered drink mix are not as good as homemade cookies and Hawaiian Punch), but others have much deeper meanings.  Here are a few things that have stuck with me thought the years:
1.  If you bring a friend, you will get something in return.  I remember the “I Brought 1” buttons and tallying up the number of first-time visitors we brought to VBS.  The person who brought the most (and it usually was a girl) would get a Bible or some other type of gift.  In retrospect all of us who brought someone and everyone who attended got something just by being there.  As I thought about this I was reminded of Andrew who brought his brother, Simon, to see Jesus (John 1:40-41).  The outcome of this meeting changed the face of Christian history.  We don’t give out “I Bought 1” buttons to Christians today, but when we bring a visitor to worship everyone (us, them and the church) gets a blessing in return.
2.  If you are happy and you know it – show it.   One of the most popular VBS songs is, “If You Are Happy And You Know It”.  The gist of the song is that if we are happy and we know it we will demonstrate it in some way.  While our children are encouraged to prove their joy through certain physical gyrations (clapping hands, stomping feet or saying “Amen”), as adults our joy should be shown in other ways.  The Bible encourages us, “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!  Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 4:4-7)  Do people know we are excited about the lives we have been called to live?  If we are happy, we should let everyone know it.

3.  Learning about the Bible can be fun.  One of the things that stands out about VBS is that it was a fun learning environment.  The lessons were Scripturally sound but that didn’t mean they had to be dull.  Do we look forward to coming to worship and Bible Study?  King David proclaimed, “I was glad when they said to me, ‘Let us go to the house of the Lord.’” (Psalm 122:1).  When we gather with the church we may not have the same type of enthusiasm as a child in VBS, but we can all rise to the level of David – being filled with excitement and thanksgiving.  

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

The Gospel Truth

Spiritual Computer Safety