Heroes

For the past several weeks I have been hunting for a hero, but I am not sure I am going to find one.  Throughout much of my life I have heard about the religiousness of President James A. Garfield.  Garfield was a true rags-to-riches story from the American Frontier who came of age during a time called the “Restoration Movement”.  According to several historians Mr. Garfield became a part of that religious movement; serving as a church leader and minister before pursuing a life in politics.  I liked what I had learned, so I began to do some deeper studying into the life of our twentieth president, but as I investigated I realized I was dealing with a human being.  Several of his political philosophies and core principles differ from mine and his political career was touched by scandal.   I am continuing my discovery, but the jury is still out on whether I will adopt him as one of my heroes or not. 
The reason I share this is that I am learning something about heroes.  As much as we would like to put our heroes on a pedestal, they are human.  Their lives are filled with baggage that has to be unpacked and examined.  We might want to hold them up as examples of what is good, but we have to be realistic about what we should expect.
I have learned something else in the process – Jesus is not my hero.  Now hear me out … what I mean is that Jesus is the King of kings, not a hero.  His life can be revered without concern for the skeletons in His closest.  We can accept everything about Him as being pure without having to explain away His deficiencies.  Jesus is the Perfect Example and that’s what makes Him greater than a hero.  A few years ago Kyle Idleman challenged people to be followers (not “fans”) of Jesus.  In a time when we could sure use some heroes, let’s remember Jesus’ true position.  The terms applied to Jesus in the New Testament remind us that He isn’t just a good guy, He is Supreme.  The Apostle Paul honors Him in this incredible description: 
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. (Colossians 1:15-18)
I am not sure where I will end up on the matter of President Garfield, but I am convicted that we can have absolute faith in Jesus because He will never disappoint.  Jesus is the Christ (Anointed One) and our Lord.  

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

Spiritual Computer Safety

The Gospel Truth