Children Of God

And they were bringing children to Him so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, “Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them.” (Mark 10:13-16)
Have you ever wondered the value of this exchange found in the New Testament?  Just about any other Bible reference to  spiritual development demands a need for maturity, so why the emphasis on childlikeness? 
I am not sure that I have the all the answers for why Jesus encouraged His disciples to take on the attitudes of children, but I think that I have come to appreciate one of them – simplicity.  It is easy for me to get “wrapped around the axle” about too many things.  Politics, social issues, church disputes as well as physical and fiscal concerns can be overwhelming.  That’s when I need a visit from our “girls”!  Ashanti and Candice are in the first and second grades so their world revolves around LOL Big Sisters, American Girl dolls, Elena Of Avalor and My Little Pony.  An exciting day for them is playing in the park with Grandma or tickling the hair the back of Grandpa’s neck to see if they can get him to laugh.  To them, high-brow humor is the newest knock-knock joke or the epic movie “Captain Underpants”.  They laugh at silly stuff and cry when people around them are sad.  For me, it is easy to set aside the issues of the day when I get a chance to spend time with the girls.  They bring a sense of innocence, simplicity and focus to my life.
Recently, as I looked forward to a visit from the girls, I thought about how much I needed a break from the “realities” of my life – then it dawned on me – isn’t that also a function of the church?  While the Lord’s church exists in the world, it is not a part of the world.  Even though our church building is located on a very busy street in a bustling part of town, within these walls we find a simpler life.  Sure, the complexities of spiritual living can baffle the most brilliant minds, but the ability to feel love, peace, fellowship from our brethren provides us with an oasis that brings life-giving refreshment.  The worship we offer to God is so unassuming and heartfelt that it restores our soul.
Are we taking our lives too seriously?  Do we need a break from the urgent in an effort to refocus on the important?  We should wear the label “children of God” proudly, because in a sense, that is what Jesus called us to be – children.

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

The Gospel Truth

Spiritual Computer Safety