Protectors


The other day I was backing out of a parking space at a local supermarket parking lot.  I did the cursory look in the rear view mirror and a glace over each shoulder, then began backing out.  Shortly after I started moving I heard a horn honk which caused me to hit my brakes and almost spill my Diet Coke.  My first response was irritation that the guy was honking at me (how rude), then it dawned me that his honking was in my best interest and had been prompted by my own inappropriate actions.  I might have been miffed that he had the audacity to honk at me, but he saved me a lot of time and money when he highlighted my mistake.  I was embarrassed that he let everyone else know I was in the wrong, but I was less embarrassed than I would have been standing in a crowded parking lot awaiting the arrival of a deputy.
As I reflected on my moment in the parking lot, I was reminded of the presence of “protectors” in my life.  Whether it is God, Himself or those He has chosen to do His bidding I have several influences who are constantly working on me or in me in an effort to mold me into the best person I can be.  Sure, sometimes it is embarrassing when I have someone challenge a decision I make, but it is often in my best interest.  It can be humbling when God stops me in my tracks, but being held back can be more beneficial than tumbling off of the proverbial cliff.  As I processed this thought, I was reminded of a passage, “My son, do not regard lightly the disciple of the Lord, nor faint when you are reproved by Him; for those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives.” (Hebrews 12:5-6).  In essence, God cares enough about us to be involved in our lives.
When we genuinely desire to get better, we can do a few things to improve our chances:
1).  Pray for wisdom.  That is something that God grants in abundance (James 1:5).
2).  Set up a network of wise people.  When we surround ourselves with solid influences we are building an emotional safety net.
3).  Trust that our network has our best interest at heart.  We have to distinguish between punishment and disciple.  People who love us want us to be successful, that’s why they intercede.  Having that trust allows us to be open to their input.
4).  Consider the advice we are given.  Trustworthy people offering solid counsel is the first step toward becoming better, but then we must process what is said and – if we find it potentially effective – act upon it.  Advice isn’t any good without action.
Are we willing to allow God to shape us into the best people He can envision?  When we get out of His way, He can work wonders with us. 

Popular posts from this blog

At The Foot Of The Cross

Spiritual Computer Safety

The Gospel Truth